Year's Support Following Death of Spouse or Parent of Minor Children

Authored By: Athens-Clarke County Probate Court

Despite its misleading name, a Year's Support award is a permanent award of property from a decedent's estate to the decedent's surviving spouse, surviving minor children, or both. The surviving spouse of the decedent can apply for Year's Support unless he or she has re-married after the decedent's death. This document explains more about rights to Year's Support.

Last Review and Update: Sep 06, 2002