What should I know about the CDC eviction order?

Authored By:
CDC eviction order and form Rental Assistance in Georgia

CDC eviction order and form

The CDC issued an order that makes it illegal to evict a tenant who cannot pay their rent and has no other housing options. This order stops evictions from September 4, 2020 until July 31, 2021. 


NOTE: The CDC Eviction Moratorium is still in effect. This means you can still use the CDC Tenant Declaration to stop an eviction for nonpayment of rent at this time. (Updated 6/24/21. If this note is here, that means the moratorium is still valid).


You will still owe your rent. Rent is not cancelled, but you cannot be evicted during this time. But, your landlord can still evict you for reasons other than not paying rent. 


In order to avoid eviction under this CDC order you must:

  • Fill out the CDC Tenant’s Declaration and keep a copy for your records. Each adult on the lease must sign the form. The form must include:

    • The date,

    • Your landlord’s contact information, and

    • Your contact information.

  • Find the CDC Tenant's Declaration Form:

    • On the CDC website,

    • Online at On this site, you can fill out the certification form electronically and email a copy to the landlord.
      • The tenant should email a copy to any and all email addresses they have for the landlord, property manager, etc
      • If possible, the tenant may want to print a copy of the declaration and give it to the landlord or property manager 
      • The tenant should confirm that page 2 of the declaration contains their signature and personal information before hitting “send”
  • In the Tenant’s Declaration, you must certify that you:

    • Expect to earn no more than $99,000 in 2020 (or $198,000 if filing a joint tax return), was not required to report any income in 2019, or received a stimulus check.

    • Are unable to make your full rent due to:

      • Substantial loss of household income,

      • Loss of work hours or wages,

      • Lay-offs,

      • Or extraordinary out of pocket medical expenses

    • You are working to pay as much of the rent as possible, and

    • You have no other available housing options. Available housing means any available, unoccupied residence, or other space in any seasonal or temporary housing, that would not violate occupancy laws and that would not result in an increased housing cost to you. If you are evicted you would:

      • Likely become homeless,

      • Need to move into a shelter, or

      • Have to move into a home shared by people who live in close quarters. 

  • Send the Tenant’s Declaration to your landlord by:

    • Regular mail,

    • Certified mail with return receipt requested, and 

    • By email

  • Keep a copy of any response from your landlord.

  • Continue to pay as much rent as you can when it is due. Keep a copy of your receipt.

  • If your landlord refused to accept a partial payment, make a record of your attempt to pay and your landlord’s response.


You will be responsible for all unpaid rent and fees after July 31, 2021.


If you are served with an eviction notice contact Georgia Legal Services or Atlanta Legal Aid. 

  • For help in Fulton, Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett, or DeKalb County, contact Atlanta Legal Aid. Fill out the Atlanta Legal Aid online intake application or call 404-524-5811 to see if you qualify for legal assistance.

If you live in any other Georgia county, contact the Georgia Legal Services Program for help. Access the GLSP online intake application or call 1-833-457-7529 to see if you qualify for legal assistance.

Rental Assistance in Georgia




404-363-0575 ext. 242



  • Center for Family Resources: (770) 428-2601  

  • Cobb County Homesaver Program: 

  • Hope Atlanta: (404) 272-2931

  • Must Ministries: (770) 427–9862 

  • Mt. Bethel United Methodist Church: (770) 971-2880

  • Eastside Baptist Church: (770) 971-2323

  • First United Methodist Church: (770) 429-7800

  • Providence Community Baptist Church: (770) 427-3565

  • St. Joseph Catholic Church: (770) 422-5633

  • Salvation Army: (770) 724-1652

  • Star-C:;; 404-698-3781

  • Stonebridge Church: 770-878-4807; 

  • Storehouse Ministries: (770) 428-8410 

  • Turner Chapel AME Church: (770) 422-6791

  • Zion Baptist Church: (770) 427-8749


DEKALB COUNTY (this list does not include all available rental assistance in DeKalb)

  • United Way: 2-1-1

  • DeKalb County Coordinated Entry: 404-687-3500

  • Star-C:;; 404-698-3781

  • Hosea Helps: 404-755-3353

  • Center for Pan Asian Community Services (CPACS): 770-936-0969





  • Georgia Gateway: 

  • Latin American Association: 678-205-1018

  • Salvation Army of Gwinnett County: 770-724-1661

  • St. Vincent de Paul: 678-892-6163

  • United Way: 211



If you live in any other Georgia county, contact the Georgia Legal Services Program for help. Access the GLSP online intake application or call 1-833-457-7529 to see if you qualify for legal assistance or to ask for resources.

Last Review and Update: Sep 17, 2020