What should I know about Disaster Unemployment Assistance?

Authored By: GeorgiaLegalAid.org
Read this in: Spanish / Español


Disaster Unemployment Assistance in Georgia


What is Disaster Unemployment Assistance?

If your employment has been lost or interrupted because of a major disaster, you may qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). A major disaster is a natural event, like a:

  • Severe storm,

  • Hurricane,

  • Tornado,

  • Straight-line winds, and 

  • Flooding.


An event qualifies for DUA if there is a Presidential declaration of a disaster.

Back to top

Who is eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)?

You are eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance if:

  • You are unemployed as a direct result of the disaster and 

  • You are not eligible or no longer eligible for Georgia’s Unemployment Insurance.


For example, you are eligible if because of the disaster, you:

  • No longer have a job or place to work;

  • Can’t get to your place of work;

  • You can’t work because your place of work is damaged; or

  • You can’t work because you were injured.


Also, people who are not usually eligible for Unemployment Insurance may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance, including:

  • Small business owners,
  • Self-employed,

  • People who work on commission, 

  • Farmers,

  • Farmworkers, and 

  • loggers.


You might also qualify if you need to get a job because a worker in your household died in the disaster.

Back to top

What are my rights and responsibilities with Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)?

You have a right to DUA benefits if you meet the qualifications. You can get benefits starting the week after the disaster declaration. 


You are responsible for applying for benefits in person.

Back to top


How do I file a claim for Disaster Unemployment Assistance?

Apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance at any Georgia Department of Labor career center


You will need to bring:

  • A valid government-issued picture ID,

  • Your Social Security number or alien registration number, and

  • If you are self-employed, proof of earnings.

Back to top

More info


Last Review and Update: Apr 21, 2022
Was this information helpful?
Back to top