1. The document titled "Summons" will state the number of days you have in order to file your answer. Normally, you have 30 days from the day you were served. You must file your answer with the Court within the number of days stated on the Summons.
2. Your answer must be in writing and must be filed with the Clerk of the Court of the County and State printed on the petition.
3. On the top part of your answer, copy the information from the top of the Summons - your name, your spouse's name, the name of the Court, and the Case Number.
4. Title your document ANSWER and then write out what you agree with and what you do not agree for every numbered paragraph in the petition. You may want to disagree with certain parts of a numbered paragraph if all the information is not true.
5. After you have written out your answer, sign your name and write the date. Your answer must be signed in the presence of a Notary Public who will notarize your answer.
6. Make two copies of your written answer. Mail one copy to your spouse or to the attorney for your spouse, whose name and address is on the Summons you received. Keep one copy for yourself. Take or mail the original to the Clerk of Court to file with the Court before the deadline passes.