Replacing Federal and Georgia Identity Documents after a Disaster

Authored By: Georgia Legal Services Program® LSC Funded



Information on How to Replace Lost Documents after a Disaster

A disaster often hits without warning.  You can lose important documents during a disaster.  This can make it difficult to prove who you are, access your bank accounts or obtain benefits.  Here are some ways that you can get new copies of these documents.


  • If you need to replace a Georgia driver’s license, you can go to any Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) office in Georgia. You can obtain a new driver's license number/ ID number by bringing a copy of a police report which clearly states that your driver's license or ID was stolen or compromised.
  • You can also apply for a replacement license online at .
  • This link will help you find an office near you: .
  • There is a $5 fee to replace your driver’s license if you renew at a DDS office; the replacement is free if you apply online. 
  • You will need to bring papers that prove who you are.


1).   Visit the Georgia Department of Health state office:

Office of Vital Records
2600 Skyland Drive
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640
State Office Hours | 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Monday through Friday
Call Center Info | (404) 679-4702
Fax Center Info | (404) 679-4793


2).  Go to the local Vital Records Registrar in your county:

There are 159 counties in Georgia. Each county has a vital records registrar and vital records custodian appointed by the state registrar. Depending upon the county, the vital records registrar or custodian may be located at the county health department or in the office of the probate judge. Call the state vital records office at 404-679-4702 if you need the mailing address or telephone number of a specific county vital records office.

  • Bring a photo identification (like a driver’s license) to prove who you are. 
  • There is a $25 fee you can pay by check or money order. 

To order a birth certificate by mail:

  • Download and complete the application found here:
  • Then you need to copy your photo identification and place that with the application. 
  • Last, you need to include the check or money order for the $25 payment in the envelope and send it to:

    Office of Vital Records
    2600 Skyland Drive
    Atlanta, GA 30319-3640
  • If you lost your Social Security card you can apply for a new one.
  • The application is on this site:

  • You need a photo identification to prove who you are (like a driver’s license or passport). 
  • If you do not have these call your local Social Security office.
  • You can bring the application with your identification to your local Social Security office. 
  • Or, you can mail both forms to your local office. 
  • This website helps you find the Social Security office near you:

  • There is no fee to replace your Social Security card. 
  • A Social Security card can only be replaced 3 times per year. 
  • A person cannot replace their Social Security card more than 10 times total.


  • If you lost your Medicare card you can order a replacement.
  • To order a replacement online, click on this link to sign into your “My Social Security” account:
  • To order a replacement by phone: call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
  • This line is open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • To order a replacement in person:  go to your local Social Security office. Use this website to find the Social Security office near you:
  • It may take up to  a month to receive your new card in the mail.


If you are low-income you may qualify for free legal help from Georgia Legal Services Program.  Visit our website: or call 404-206-5175; 800-498-9469; TDD 800-225-0056.

If Georgia Legal Services Program cannot help, you can look for an attorney on “Find A Lawyer” on the State Bar of Georgia website – .

Last Review and Update: Oct 07, 2016