Access to Education

Authored By: Georgia Legal Services Program® LSC Funded


A child who lives with a non-parent relative has the right to go to public school. Below is a list of things that you will need for your child to go to school.

  • Proof that the relativelives in Georgia
  • Proof of ShotsEither a doctor or the health department can give the child the correct shots.
  • Proof of the child's age
    • Use:
      •  A military ID
      • A valid driver's license, passport, or birth certificate
      • An adoption record
      • A religious record signed by a religious official
      • An official school transcript
      • If you have none of the above, then use:
        • A sworn statement by the parent, guardian, or another person and
        • a statement from a licensed practicing doctor that states that the doctor has seen the child and believes that the age shown on the sworn statement is correct.
  • Proof that the child lives in the relative's homeThe school may ask for proof of the relationship between the relative and the child. For example, the school may ask the relative to get guardianship or to complete a non-parental affidavit.If the school says that the relative must get a guardianship, the relative should get legal help.

The school may have rules that may need to be challenged. For example, a challenge may be needed ifthe parent is in the military and the school wants the relative to have guardianship.You should contact an attorney for help.


  • A school must allow the child to go to school for 30 days while waiting for proof of age, residence, or other requirements. The school may give more time for special reasons.
  • The family, and not the school, should make the decision about the type of relationship that helps the family.

The rules and the regulations for the Georgia Department of Education can be found at:

View THIS MAP for Chilcare Resources available to immigrant children in Georgia.

View THIS MAP for Federal Education Benefits available to immigrants in Georgia.

View THIS MAP for State Education Benefits available to immigrants in Georgia.


For More Information Call

The Georgia Legal Services Program


The views in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the Georgia Department of Human Resources.The information in this brochure is intended only as information; it is not legal advice. The information does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, contact an attorney licensed in the appropriate state and do not rely upon this information. This brochure was created by the Georgia Legal Services Program under a grant from the GeorgiaDepartmentof Human Resources, Division of Aging Services.