Housing , Economics, Unemployment, and Domestic Violence

Authored By: Georgia Legal Services Program® LSC Funded
Read this in:
Spanish / Español


This is information on housing and economic well being for domestic abuse survivors.


The National Domestic Violence Hotline phone number is 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)


If you feel unsafe the large red X at the top right corner of the page will send you to the google homepage.


Housing & Domestic Violence

Did You Know?

• A victim of family violence should not be denied housing or evicted from
subsidized housing just because of family violence.
• Georgia has several public housing and housing assistance programs. Most housing programs have long waiting lists, but you should apply to get on the list. Apply at your local housing authority or ask Georgia Legal Services for more information.
• Shelter groups at the l-800-33HAVEN statewide hotline number can advise
you about emergency family violence shelters near you.
• Some shelters and non-profit agencies in your area may also have transitional housing available.


Public Housing

Public housing is available to lower income families and individuals. It provides affordable housing to help those recipients become financially independent and self-sufficient. To qualify for Public Housing, an application must be submitted by the individual or family asking for assistance. Many communities have public housing authorities that own housing and rent it to eligible low-income families and individuals. In public housing, rent is based on income. There is often a waiting list of people seeking this type of housing. When you apply at your local public
housing authority, mention that you need housing because you are a victim of family violence. If the housing authority denies your application, you have the right to ask for a review of that decision. Georgia Legal Services may be able to help you.

Section 8 Vouchers

The Section 8 Program, helps families and individuals pay for housing in privately owned houses and apartments which would otherwise be financially out of reach. The Section 8 Voucher places the choice in the hands of the family. The voucher holder is responsible for finding and selecting the rental unit. The only requirement is that the unit must meet health and safety requirements before the family can receive rental assistance. If a unit is approved for assistance, the voucher holder will pay a portion of the rent directly to the landlord.

To apply for a Section 8 Voucher, contact your local housing authority if you live in Cobb, Fulton, Clayton, Richmond, Bibb, Sumter, Chatham or Glynn Counties. If you live outside these counties, you should contact the Department of Community Affairs Office for the area in which you live. Those numbers are:

Albany Regional Office at 229-430-4117 or 888-340-7069
Athens Regional Office 706-369-5636 or 888-318-0354; 706-369-5634 for wait list information
Eastman Regional Office 478-374-6962 or 888-340-6112
Carrollton Regional Office 770-838-2600 or 888-340-4481
Waycross Regional Office 912-285-6280 or 888-879-2549


If you rent your home and need to move because of family violence, read your lease and see if it allows you to move before the lease ends. The lease may require you give your landlord notice before you move. Most leases require a tenant to pay a penalty if they move before the end of the lease. Talk with your landlord, ask to be let out of your lease early so you can move to a safe place. If your landlord agrees, ask him or her to put it in writing and keep a copy. If possible, do not tell your landlord where you will be moving; explain that you are fleeing from an abuser.


There are many programs for new homebuyers. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors home buying classes, credit counseling, and loan programs. There
are also programs which offer foreclosure prevention, special mortgage programs, and general information on home repair programs. Contact HUD at l-888-466-3487 or 404-331-5136 or go to their website at for more information on programs in your area.

This web page gives you general information only. Please see a lawyer to discuss your individual case.

Call your local Georgia Legal Services Program or Atlanta Legal Aid Society office for help. If they cannot take your case, they may be able to refer you to a private attorney for help.

For Clayton, Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton, and Gwinnett Counties, call Atlanta Legal Aid Society: (404) 524-5811

For all other counties, call Georgia Legal Services Program: 1-800-498-9469 or, for the Hearing Impaired, call: TDD 1-800-255-0056

If you are age 60 or older, call the Georgia Senior Legal Hotline: 404-657-9915 or 1-888-257-9519

Economic Safty Plan For Victims of Domestic Violence

Consumer Rights for Survivors of Domestic Violence

Unemployment Insurance For Survivors of Domestic Violence

Consumer Rights for Domestic Violence Survivors Initiative:

Emergency Housing Information for Immigrants:

Last Review and Update: Jun 02, 2017