Foreign Workers and Social Security Numbers

Authored By: Social Security Administration
Read this in:
Spanish / Español
Creole / Kreyòl
Chinese / 中文

Are you temporarily in the United States to work? If you are, your employer will ask for your Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States.


Last Review and Update: Jun 03, 2005