What is the Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers program?

Authored By: GeorgiaLegalAid.org
Read this in: Spanish / Español


Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers (UCX) in Georgia


What is the Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers program?

The Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers (UCX) program is for people transitioning from military service to a civilian job. The program provides benefits for eligible:

  • Ex-military personnel, and

  • Former members of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

Back to top

Who is eligible for UCX in Georgia?

You are eligible for the Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers program if:

  • You were on active duty or in active Reserve status with a military branch or the NOAA in the past sixteen months,

  • You were honorably discharged,

  • You completed your full term of service, and

  • You meet Georgia Unemployment Insurance requirements, including:

    • You must be currently unemployed, or partially unemployed; and

    • You must currently be able to work, available for work, and be looking for full time work.

Back to top

What are my rights and responsibilities with the UCX program?

If you are eligible, you have the right to get Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers. You are responsible for applying for the UCX program.


If you qualify for UCX, to continue to get benefits, you must meet the Georgia Unemployment Insurance ongoing requirements. You must:

  • Actively seek work. You must submit three new job search contacts each week.

  • Register for employment services through Employ Georgia.  

  • Respond to notices from the Department of Labor,

  • Report all earnings for each week.

Back to top


How can I apply for UCX?

You can file for UCX benefits by calling or visiting your local Georgia Department of Labor office. For UCX, you file in the state where you live when you file the claim. You can file online if you have a valid email address.

You should have the following information ready when you apply:

  • Your Social Security number.

  • Your government-issued picture ID.

  • Your Employment Authorization Document, if you have one.

  • At least one of the following:

    • most recent DD-214 Member 4, 

    • “orders to report”, 

    • “orders of release”, 

    • military earnings and leave statement, and/or 

    • W-2 form(s) from your most recent military service


After you file your claim, you will need to complete an Applicant Status Affidavit. The affidavit verifies that you are legally allowed to work in the U.S.


If you live in Georgia, you must also register for employment services at EmployGeorgia.com when you file your claim. 

Back to top

What if there are mistakes on my military service record?

After you apply for UCX, the Georgia Department of Labor (GDOL) will check your military service information. The GDOL contacts the Federal Claims Control Center with the U.S. Department of Labor. 


If you believe there are errors on your DD-214, you can ask that any mistakes be corrected, including:

  • The beginning and ending dates of your active service period and “days lost”

  • The type of active duty discharge or release

  • Your pay grade at the time of active duty discharge or release

  • The narrative reason or other reason for separation from active service

  • The condition of discharge


To request a correction, contact the GDOL in writing. The GDOL will forward your request for correction to the federal military agency that issued your DD-214. The issuing federal military agency will make a decision. If they believe you are correct, they will re-issue you a DD-214 with the correct information.


What if I find out about mistakes on my military service record because I am denied benefits?

If you discover the errors after the GDOL makes a decision, you can file an appeal. With your appeal, you should make a request for a correction of your record. The GDOL will forward your request to the federal military agency that issued your DD-214.


If the federal military agency issues a corrected military document in response to your request, their decision is final and binding on the GDOL for all purposes, including appeal and review.

Back to top

How can I appeal a UCX denial?

If you are denied benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. File your appeal with the Georgia Department of Labor.

  • Check the date on your Wage Determination Notice or Claim Determination. You have 15 days from the date on your Notice to request a hearing. Don't miss the deadline!

  • Request a hearing in writing online, by email, fax, or in person. Include the following information:

    • The date on the determination or decision you are appealing;

    • The docket number if you are appealing a previous appeals decision;

    • Your name and social security number;

    • Your address and phone number;

    • A detailed explanation of why you are appealing.

  • While you wait for a hearing date, call in (or log in on-line) weekly and claim your UCX benefits. Even if you win your hearing, you will still only receive benefits for the weeks that you claimed.

  • In about 2 to 3 weeks, you will receive a Notice of Hearing. The notice must be mailed 10 days before the hearing date. It will give your case number and hearing date, time and location; and the "Purpose of Hearing." The Purpose of Hearing is the issue or issues that will be talked about at the hearing.

Back to top

More info


Last Review and Update: Jan 27, 2020
Was this information helpful?
Volver arriba