How to get an Order of Protection in Georgia (video)




If you are a victim of dating or family violence or stalking, you can apply for an order of protection.

A Protective Order requires the person who abused or stalked you not to abuse, stalk, contact you, or come within a certain distance of where you are, including at work or school. It can require the person to leave your home. It can also give you custody of your children, child support, temporary use of property and many other things.

This is a civil process and is free.

To start the process fill out a Petition for Protective Order stating what happened and what you want the court to do about what happened. You can find the petition online at or from the Superior Court clerk’s office.

You can contact your local domestic violence agency for help filling out this petition. Find someone to help at

File the petition in the Clerk's Office of the Superior Court in the county where the person who abused or stalked you lives.

After you file the petition, you will see a judge who may give you an immediate Temporary or “Ex Parte” Protective Order and schedule a follow up hearing. The hearing will take place within 30 days of the date that you filed your petition.

You must attend this hearing or your Protective Order will expire.

At the hearing both you and the person who abused or stalked you will have a chance to talk to the judge and answer questions about what happened. After the hearing, the judge will decide whether to issue a Protective Order for up to 12 months.

Learn more at


Last Review and Update: Jan 27, 2022
Was this information helpful?
Volver arriba