Household Workers

Authored By: Social Security Administration
Read this in:
Spanish / Español
Polish / Język Polski
Chinese / 中文

If you hire someone to work in your home, such as a cleaning person, a cook, a gardener or a baby sitter, both you and your employee should know about paying Social Security and Medicare taxes. Your household employee may be eligible for Social Security and Medicare some day—if you deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes from his or her wages, pay the taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and report the wages to the Social Security Administration.


Last Review and Update: Jun 13, 2005