You are a debtor if you have:
- borrowed money to buy a house or a car
- used a credit card to purchase items OR
- owe money for medical treatment or for a personal loan
Your creditor is the person or company that lent you money. If you fall behind on your payment, your creditor might hire a collection agency to help collect the money from you.
As a debtor, you have both rights and responsibilities.
- Are You about to Make an Important Purchse? Check out this Consumer Complaint Database First.
- Basic Debt Collection and Consumer Protection in Georgia
- Buying A Used Car
- Car Loans: Understanding Vehicle Financing
- Privacy: Tips for Protecting Your Personal Information
- Questions about Family Consumer Debt Problems
Debt Collection Help
Fulton County Residents!
Visit the Self Help Center at the Fulton County State & Magistrate or call (404) 613-4116
- Landlord/Tenant Attorney Counsultation
- Legal Research & Reference Materials
- Referral Services
Atlanta Area Residents!
If you have been sued about a debt or are worried about a debt
- DeKalb Volunteer Lawyers Foundation hosts monthly free Debt Collection Clinics - visit DeKalbProBono.org for upcoming clinic dates
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
To apply call (404) 521-0790, Monday through Thursday from 9 am - 1 pm
Atlanta Legal Aid Society, Inc.
To apply call (404) 524-5811, Monday through Thursday from 9 am - 12 pm
The Georgia Law Center for the Homeless
To apply call (404) 681-0680, Monday, Tuesday or Thursday